Editorial - (2021) Volume 9, Issue 4
Horticulture is the cultivation of garden plants, fruits, berries, nuts, vegetables, flowers, trees, shrubs and lawns. Gardeners use modern nurseries to produce seedlings and mother plants. These plants propagate in a variety of ways, including sowing, cuttings, stratification, emergence, and grafting. It consists of a nursery and an irrigation path. The nursery is an area where plants grow and are cared for in the first few years. Most horticultural crops are grown in nurseries and then transplanted into the fields. The nursery improves germination and colonization, saves time, space, labor and facilitates maintenance. A growth bed is defined as a prepared area of a nursery where seedlings are sown or where seedlings and cuttings are grown. Based on the type of plant that grows in them, the growing bed is divided into a nursery and a transplant bed. Saplings, beds are growth beds in which saplings are grown for transplanting or planting in other beds.
Establishing a nursery requires knowledge of breeding methods and resources such as land, mother plants, plant breeding structures, growth media, containers, mixture for containers, breeding equipment, etc. The location of the nursery is nutrient-rich medium soil, close to the water source, free of soil pathogens and insects, cheap and skilled labor available, and easy on highways for easy transport. We need to be able to access. The location should be on a slightly sloping terrain and away from other tall vegetation. This is important for good drainage and promotion of air circulation. We need to choose the right place for the most effective, efficient and economical design of the kindergarten. The purpose and purpose of the plant produced determines the choice of location and its improvement. It is important to carefully observe the condition of the site and evaluate past and present climate records. If necessary, make a list of potential kindergarten sites and compare them using a decision matrix.
Importance of nursery and its role
• Seedlings and grafts are produced in nurseries, from which orchards and ornamental gardens can be created with minimal care, cost and maintenance.
• Planting materials from the nursery are available at the beginning of the planting season.
• This saves farmers time, money and effort to grow saplings.
• Public spaces, highways and housing associations have plenty of room for orchards, ornamental gardens, vegetable gardens and landscaped gardens.
• It ensures the production of genetically improved plant material.
• Provide employment opportunities for engineers, skilled workers, semi-skilled workers and unskilled workers.
• An important source of saplings to meet the needs of industries such as fruits, pulp, paper, firewood and wood.
Benefit of raising seedlings in nursery
• Very convenient to care for soft seedlings.
• It's easy to protect seedlings from pests and diseases.
• Land Use Economics.
• We can grow precious and very small seeds effectively and without waste.
• We can maintain a uniform stand in the main field by choosing healthy, uniform and durable seedlings for the nursery itself.
Seedbeds require great care and caution after they emerge from seeds or are grown from other sources such as rhizomes and tissue culture techniques. In general, they grow up outdoors under the protection of Mother Nature, where they should be able to face local environment. It is the duty of commercial nursery growers and the main goal is to provide nursery plants with suitable conditions for their development and growth. This is the main task of managing the nursery and includes all the work from the emergence of young plants to maturity, or uprooting and transplanting in the main areas.